Director of Developer Marketing at Slack

Remote (USA)

About the job

Slack is seeking a proven developer marketer to lead our team in helping developers of Slack apps in delivering value to end-users of their apps. The ideal candidate has a builder mentality and likes to figure things out, thrives in very cross functional and collaborative organizations, and is driven by the impact they and their team create together.
In this role, you’ll lead how our team reaches and motivates Slack developers about how they can build powerful apps for Slack by using our open APIs and low-code tools. The primary audience you’ll be influencing are developers of Slack apps, and secondarily decision-makers at our customers who depend on these developers.
Slack is our customers’ digital headquarters — connecting companies’ employees with their technologies and customers, regardless of where everyone is. Today there are over 1 million active developers of Slack apps, already making Slack one of the most successful platforms for developers of enterprise services. And at our recent users conference, Frontiers, we announced our next-generation platform. The result of users building on the Slack platform is integrations that improve the time and effort it takes for teams to get work done. As our CEO Stewart Butterfield has said, Slack can “be the 2% of your software budget that is a multiplier on the other 98% of your budget.”
Along with the existing 1 million developers, we now have the opportunity to bring value to many more millions of developers, including through our relationship with our parent company, Salesforce. These include internal or ‘corporate’ developers who build apps for users inside their organizations, and developers of 3rd-party apps and services for Slack such as Atlassian, AWS, Google, Microsoft, Salesforce, Workday, and Zoom.
You’ll lead the strategy and be hands-on in executing how we build and extend our channels for reaching developers. This role is highly cross-functional, requiring partnership with our platform product marketers, other fellow marketers and colleagues in developer relations, product, engineering, sales, comms, and more.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this is a good fit for you, we’d love to talk.

What you will be doing
Setting strategy for how we reach developers to educate and motivate them about new and existing Slack platform capabilities for developers, with the goal of driving sustained development on our platform.
Identifying and prioritizing channels for reaching developers — such as in-person and virtual events, podcasts and other broadcasts, videos, newsletters, social, and 3rd party publications and sites — and develop integrated campaigns and nurture programs that tap the most effective of these channels.
Partnering with product, analytics and research to deeply understand the spectrum of Slack developers, and their sentiment and motivations; and use these findings to set strategies for how we engage, educate and empower them.
Partnering with and influence cross-functional teams such as developer relations, product management, business development, customer success, customer support, and our Slack Community team.
Partnering with allied teams at Salesforce and our other related companies including MuleSoft and Tableau, to educate and motivate our collective audience of developers about the value of connecting services and information into Slack.
Hiring and leading team members who will be responsible for key elements of our developer marketing such as content development, events, and audience growth

You should have
6+ years of developer marketing experience, including focused on developer platforms and/or enterprise marketplaces.
Experience in enterprise B2B SaaS or software, ideally for end user applications
A builder mentality — cranking a machine that someone else built bores you, instead you love to figure out how to achieve results and establish best practices
Demonstrable passion for working with technical audiences.
Proven success in having tackled ambiguous problems and broken them down into well-scoped solutions. You focus on impact, not effort.
Outstanding communication skills and extraordinary writing ability.
Experience coaching and leading teams
Nice to have: Tool Geek! Love testing out new apps, tools, and services to learn how they work and make your work-life simpler. Develop a holistic understanding of how key audiences – admins, IT decision-makers, and end-users – influence the platform flywheel.

For Colorado-based roles: Minimum annual salary of $146,200. You may also be entitled to receive bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits.